Tuesday, May 15, 2012

No Hunger Games Here.

A few weeks ago, when I was "off-blog" I posted on Facebook this photo of the deli counter at Krogers. I was somewhat amused that the place I expected to find some nice green salads was home to this whipping cream decorated "apple pie salad." There was little indignation from my readers. In fact my former baby sitter, now a dietician in a hospital in Arizona, commented that it all  looked good to her. Shame on you, Patty!

Today while I was waiting for my pound of ham (low sodium, of course) to be cut, I scanned the salad offerings, and my eyes alighted on this. It was labeled chocolate cookie desert. It looks like something I would rather not come across in a baby's diaper. At least they identified it as a desert, which is more than I can say for the dish to its left rear. That's a "candied apple salad".

So where could I go to cleanse my visual palate? Why, the produce department to see some nice, nutritious fruit. You know, the things you bite into and let the juice trickle down your chin. There was plenty of that, but look what I also found. Pre-washed, pre-sliced, pre-doused in preservatives and packed in plastic for your snacking pleasure.

This post needs a snappy sentence to end with, but somehow, I just can't come up with one. I'm speechless.

1 comment:

del said...

You are sooo right about that so called delicatessen food. Whipping cream garnish, really? And the poo poo platter. I am SO with you on that. It repulses. I don't mind fatty foods at all, I'm not a food snob that way. But it's got to be Food!