Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Grandfather's Love

Not a good photograph—it was taken from my car with a cell phone. But I didn't want to get any closer and I didn't want him to see me taking the photo.

I came across him when I was off on an errand, but it wouldn't have mattered if I hadn't seen him that day. If I had driven that route to the park the next day or the day after, I would have eventually met up with him. He must be close to 80 now. I spent a lot of time sitting next to him and his wife on the bleachers when our boys played basketball together. I think they have more grandchildren than we do, and the one he is pushing in the stroller plays a special role in his life. She was born with developmental problems and since his retirement I don't think a day goes by that he doesn't take her to the park and push her along the boardwalk by the lake. I have come across them there several times and we have taken the opportunity to catch up on the news of each other's children.

I admire him and his ceaseless devotion to his granddaughter, so no, I didn't want him to see me taking the photo.

No comments: