Thursday, August 30, 2007

Whatever Happened to . . .?

One of my great pleasures is life is reconnecting with my children’s childhood friends. Some have come up to me in the street with a, “Hi, Mrs. Ament, remember me?” More often I hear news of them from their parents. My strangest experience? I once met a woman at a party whose boys were in Little League with Andrew and Al. I asked what her younger son was doing and she replied proudly, “He’s the road manager for Marilyn Manson.” It is hard to re-arrange your face into a suitable expression when confronted by that answer.

Here’s a photo taken at Lucy’s High School graduation in 1994. That’s her friend Brian with her and all those cords around their necks signify that they were both in the top ten of their graduating class. Brian’s the “four year-old” I mentioned in an earlier post. He and Lucy were great buddies from kindergarten through to the end of high school and he spent a lot of time at our house. Then it was on to the U of M and Vet school at Penn. His last assignment was a residency in New York. He will take his Boards in October and go off to California to join a practice in Glendale. So he’s home for a couple to months to study for his Boards and I had the joyful experience of having him back at my dining room table, this time with the letters DVM attached to his name and a specialty in emergency veterinary medicine under his belt. It has been such a long time since I have seen him—but it seems like yesterday.

No comments: