Sunday, August 26, 2007

On Death and Dying

This is not the post I planned for today. I came up after dinner to complete my intended entry, and checked on a few blogs. One of them I found a few weeks ago when listening to This American Life on NPR. The subject of the piece was people who become spokesmen, whether by profession or through chance. The blog is Rachel from North London. Rachel North is one of the people who was wounded in the bombing of the London underground in July, 2005. She confronted her trauma by blogging about it and by gathering together survivors in unofficial therapy sessions in pubs. There was an amazing outcome, including a group who denounced her, claiming a conspiracy: there was an electrical problem that caused the destruction on the tube and the bus incident was staged by actors to help cover up the negligence by the transportation authorities

This was potential fodder for my blog. Bizarre? Yes. I realized that there was no way I could mention Rachel without carrying out a lot more research than I was prepared to do. So I dropped the subject.

But when I looked at her blog today, Rachel was confronting a pain worse than she suffered on 7/7. One that requires no research to understand.

Dip into her writing and to the comments attached to her posts. This is what makes the world of blogging so human and raw.

1 comment:

Candy Schultz said...

I found Rachel some time ago. She is inspiring.