Sunday, July 09, 2006

Marmite

Marmite is an underappreciated delicacy. It is possible to buy it in the US, but I avoid doing so. Spread thickly on toast and butter, it is delicious and I can easily work my way through half a loaf at a sitting, but Dr. Goldsby doesn’t approve, so I limit myself to what I can eat while in England and to what I receive from visiting friends and family.

It looks (and in all honesty sort of tastes) like tar and it is definitely an acquired taste. Anyone who watched the Olympic Games in Australia will remember the commentators talking in disbelief about Vegemite, the Australian equivalent of Marmite.

This bottle, a very contemporary squeeze bottle, was brought over by my visiting brother and his wife. It is now empty. I was idly surfing so I could educate you all with a list of ingredients and I came across some fascinating sites here and here. If you get a chance, try some Marmite on toast. You just might like it.

No comments: