Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Bee Balm Boom of 2006


Last August 17 I addressed the Foxglove Glut of 2005. That was a phenomenon which fizzled out. Most of the foxglove rosettes which nestled under the winter covering of garden debris were gone by spring. I suspect that the virtual absence of snow deprived them of the moisture they needed to put on their usual brave show.

Those same weather conditions were obviously kind to monarda. There’s an abundance of it this year, most of it in totally unsuitable places. I have a big clump at the front of a bed in front of the bird bath, and I can’t bring myself to eradicate it. Besides, it fills the spot where I removed lilies last fall. That was a big mistake, because they are not tall enough to make any impression where I planted them. Back to the drawing board.

No comments: