Wednesday, October 09, 2013

$723.06

My disappointment grows apace!

Years ago, when I started this blog, I went to a great deal of trouble to install Sitemeter (I just couldn't get it at the bottom of the page.) I wanted to track the thousands of people who were going to read my blog each day—who were they? where did they live? who referred them to my site? Each week I eagerly opened the report from the folks at Sitemeter giving me the harsh facts. I get one screen listing the domain name of the last 100 visitors. That's pretty meaningless because it is mostly numbers. Hm, "Churchbutler", I quite like that one. Then there is the location list. Nice to make new friends in Bogot, Cundinamarca, Colombia and Khabarovsk in the Russian Federation. There are are other confusing reports (Out clicks, Exit Pages, Entry Pages) but nothing can disguise the grim truth set out in the Summary. Average readers per day, between 8 and 11. Even worse, when I took that hiatus and published nothing for many months, I still got 8-11 readers a day.

Here's the final straw. I was looking at stuff on my iPhone to while away some waiting time. I don't like to do that because I find it difficult to read screens and virtually impossible to write. I must have been in an area related to Sitemeter. I think. But this is what I found:


There are nine million, three hundred and forty three thousand, eight hundred and sixty one people in the United States who "rank" higher than me. My blog is worth $723.06. What does that mean. Content? Style? I could raise that amount if I advertised beer? No IPO for me. I'm dispirited, but I'll plod on for a while.

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

Had to chuckle about that!
I had a free site meter on my blog until quite recently. However, just as I was getting really interested in the whereabouts of all the readers, I was informed that I'd have to pay and the free meter was no longer possible! Sure enough it was wiped from my screen. Oh well......
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Slope Opera said...

Beryl, you should use Google Analytics. Free and much much more interesting! Easy to do, especially because you use blogger. Oh, also, Hi!
Bridget

Beryl Ament said...

Hey, important Mediaite person, you are not allowed to comment until you get back to your blog!