Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Today's History Lesson

Barnes and Noble puts out a nice series of biography/history books for children.  We first found some in the store several months ago and tried to order some of the missing volumes. They are not all available, but we were able to purchase enough to augment the grandchildren's Easter candy and we spent an enjoyable time trying to figure out which books were the perfect match for each grandchild. Pelé would have been perfect for Manny, but it was not to be had, nor was Eleanor Roosevelt, who would have been a great example for one of the girls.

One of my granddaughters received the biography of Abigail Adams (and these books are no means as dull as they look. They are nicely illustrated, with ingenious side bars, interesting timelines and fashion facts) and I swear I did not ask for an essay before they left. When I went down to tidy up the basement, I found this: Abigail and John Adams died on July 4, 1826 (er, no.) They had a life before they died though. They didn't watch TV.

 I am rather partial to the blog Confessions of a Ci-Devant which I  list in my right hand margin. But you must admit I am beginning to give him a run for his money.


No comments: