Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Day of Spring.


And freezing cold. I am not  in the least tempted to stroll the old homestead looking for the emergence of little green shoots. Besides, there is no way I can work in the garden this year. I don’t have anything to wear. An article in the March 7 Wall Street Journal begins: Shovel? Check. Rototiller? Check. $500 Wellies? Check. Apparently we are supposed to exchange “ratty jeans and rubber clogs for trim trousers, sturdy jackets and hunting boots that look to be straight out of Downton Abbey.”

Here’s the idea. Get it? Her gardening essentials include Dubarry boots, a Barbour vest and scarves by Burberry and Hermès. The farm-girl-meets-country-squire look. Just in case a neighbor drops by to borrow a cup of  fertilizer.

“Helping drive the style” apparently, is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge,, “who is often photographed wearing sporty vests and horsy boots. She favors the Le Charmeau brand of leather-lined rubber Wellingtons, a steal at $480. I don’t think I remember seeing her wielding a shovel or a rototiller.

While I was going back to research the origins of this blog I came across an entry for October 26, 2005.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

1 comment:

Maggie May said...

You are having a delayed Spring, too.
It is realy, really cold here.
Maggie x

Nuts in May