Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Other Kennedy Boy

We were off in DC at the beginning of June when the country marked the fortieth anniversary of the assassination of Robert Kennedy. I remember how surreal the event seemed at the time. We were living in the upper unit of the duplex on Marlborough. It had two bedrooms, one of which was Ernie's study, the other was Al's nursery. We didn't own much furniture, so at the time we had our bed in the living room, along with a couch and a television. It was six weeks before Kate was born and I didn't see much point in getting up until Al woke up. Ernie was teaching summer school and was already up and getting ready. Did he turn on the television? I don't remember, but I do know that eventually I was sitting up in bed watching the tragic events unfold.


I don't know the date of this copy of the Billings Gazette capturing the visit of the democratic candidate to Montana, but we have it in our possession because the smiling woman in the center shaking Bobby Kennedy's hand is Ernie's sister Flo, and it seems important to preserve even a vicarious brush with history.

1 comment:

Rinkly Rimes said...

My comment doesn't really apply to your Kennedy piece but this seems a good spot to remark on your profile. I am a Pom, in other words an Australian Brit, and I can empathise with all you say. I left England in 1956 but I sound as though I got off the boat yesterday and that's the way I like it.
I have a Blog called 'Rinkly Rimes'. As you like to hear about other peoples' lives, you might like to visit it.
Brenda Bryant