Thursday, November 16, 2006

u mst b joking or r u smoking sumthg?

I interrupt my travelogue to bring you a little nugget from New Zealand, courtesy of The Usual Suspects. It seems that

New Zealand's high school students will be able to use "text-speak" -- the mobile phone text message language beloved of teenagers -- in national exams this year, officials said.
You can read the rest of the article here.

Now I love parody and would like nothing more than to write an essay on Beowulf or the symbolism of Gerard Manley Hopkins just to show you how it would read in text-speak, but I haven’t a clue how to go about it. I must have missed the class in intro to Western Civilization that covered text-speak. It raises lots of questions, doesn’t it? What’s next? Ph.D. dissertations? Speeches by presidents, rulers and popes?

One thing I do know: with this beta thing, I have the ability to tag posts and I often have problems deciding in what category I should place my entry. This one is easy. It is going under absurd.

LOL

No comments: