Wednesday, September 27, 2006

I Lied

I wasn’t telling the truth in my last post. I have written a book. It’s about a suicidal ex-ball player and a visitation from his dead mother. I was all set to get an agent when I read in the Free Press that Mitch Albom has come up with the same story line and that his publisher, Hyperion, has already printed 2.2 million copies. That is a tad more than my readership.

Good for you, Mitch. Actually, I like your title better than mine. I was thinking along the lines of Mondays with a Drunk Baseball Guy and Someone he Met in Heaven.

I have to wonder why the book is coming out now. Isn’t it a bit early for Christmas? Maybe a tie-in with the World Series? Maybe you know something about the Tigers that we don’t.

Perhaps the biggest question is, “Will The Detroit Free Press review it?" Seems to me there was a little problem there last time you wrote a book. I hope they don’t reprint the review from Publishers Weekly:

Albom foregrounds family sanctity, maternal self-sacrifice and the destructive power of personal ambition and male self-involvement . . .
Makes him sound like Dr. Phil.

I am not upset. I have another idea for a novel. It’s about four sisters who live in Massachusetts and live selfless, if occasionally tragic, lives while waiting for their father to come back from serving in the War between the States. I think it will sell.

No comments: