Thursday, February 23, 2006

Unmentionables

Yesterday I came across two articles on a subject that normally I do not think much about. I figured that the gods of trivial information must be conspiring, so today I shall write briefly (no pun intended) about underwear.

The first article appeared in the Education supplement of Britain’s Guardian Unlimited. In a piece entitled Red stars and bras, Marc Abrahams introduces us to Olga Gurova, who is based at the European University in St. Petersburg and studies the cultural history of underwear in the Soviet Union. I quote:

In the 1920s, Soviet magazines touted a "regime of cleanliness" for the proletariat. "Underwear," explains Gurova, "was a compulsory part of that regime." A goal was established: everyone should have at least two sets, and should change sets at least once every 7-10 days.

I was still reflecting on that information when I opened the March edition of “W.” There, in an article entitled “Romantic Interludes”, Jessica Kerwin tells us everything we ever wanted to know about the lingerie designers of Paris. All I will say is that this putative bra retails for about $195, while the panties, ribbons and all, cost about $180 and can be purchased in New York.

When I wrote a couple of days ago about the exams and essays of my youth, I omitted to say that many essay questions began: “Compare and contrast ...” These pieces would make a good basis for such an essay, but I don’t intend to do that. You are smart people and can do that for yourselves. And if you do a good job, you too can teach at the European University in St. Petersburg.

No comments: