Sunday, February 26, 2006

Serendipity

Coincidence has played a significant role in my life this week. First it was underwear, now it is computers.

Writers who kept their Journals on Diary-x logged on yesterday to discover that (sic): “All journals, user information, forum posts, templates, images, and everything else are all irrecoverably lost.” It is the on-line equivalent of “the dog ate my homework”, except that poor Stephen Deken was telling his subscribers, “My dog ate YOUR homework.” I could almost understand what he was talking about as he described the phenomenon of “head skip.” I noted what he wrote about the last backup in December 2004, and reminded myself that I needed to do something about backup for the files in this computer.

You guessed it: later in the day there were definite signs that something is amiss with my beloved G5. It looks like something is trying to eat the desktop and the screen keeps going fuzzy. So I stayed up much too late last night burning backup CD’s. It means that tomorrow we will have to drive across town to the Apple store and talk to the latest in a long line of Mac employees called Jason who uses a language I do not understand. I’ll grit my teeth and do it. I have been trying to take photos of the screen to illustrate the problem, but my camera too is on the blink. That, I am afraid, will be another story. I just hope we don’t have to hear the word “irrecoverably.”

No comments: