Saturday, March 13, 2010

Serendipity Once More

This photo shows my bedside table. I am about to read yet another book about K2 from the warmth of my bed. Anyone who has read this blog in the past may know of my couch-potato fascination with adventure. In that post was a reference to a book I had just read, The True Stories of the First Five Women Who Climbed K2 by Jennifer Jordan.

One of the five women was the English climber, Alison Hargreaves, so last night, when I checked in with Daphne, who is fast becoming one of my favorite English bloggers, I was astounded to read this post. Read her post—there’s really not much else to say—and follow the link to the Timesonline and look at the photo of Alison and her two small children shortly before she died.

If you click on my photograph, you will be able to read the subtitle: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain. I don’t know, I really don’t know.

11 comments:

Maggie May said...

Hope you aren't thinking of climbing K2!
I can remember seeing the documentary on TV about this lady.
I personally feel that a mother should never take this risk.

Nuts in May

Daphne said...

Thank you for your kind comment about my blog. The story of Alison Hargreaves has haunted me for years since my son is the same age as hers. I find myself wondering about my own levels of selfishness - - could I ever have left him at that age? I don't think so - - but I'm not driven to climb mountains.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I happened upon your blog and am also a "couch-potato adventurer"! lol. A wonderful book that involves K-2 is "Three Cups of Tea" by Dr. Greg Mortenson. I also loved reading "Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World" by Jennifer Armstrong. Perhaps you would enjoy them too?

Paula said...

I bet would enjoy this story in today's New York Times, Korean is First Woman to Scale 14 Highest Peaks:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/sports/global/28climber.html?ref=world
Nice photos, too. Have fun!

Beryl Ament said...

Paula, I did see that. I had also read (somewhere) earlier in the week that there was some controversy over the legitimacy of her claiming all the other conquests. Life was too muddled for me to follow it all up.

I am hoping to get back to posting this week—see you soon!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michele said...

I just started my blog today and attempted to use "amenwithat" when I was informed that it was already in use. I thought to myself "Now who in the world would also want that as a website name?" I decided to type in the website to find out. Lo and behold, another Ament! I just recently married an Ament and found it fascinating that when informing another person about how to spell our last name he says "Ament, Amen with a T". I thought I was so clever when I came up with the name for our blog. BUT, you beat me to the punch. KUDOS!
By the way, our new blog is now named amenwithatee (best I could do!)

Just thought I would share.

-Michele M. Ament

hapi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kath said...

I know what you mean, There is something deliciously daring about reading of adventure and adversity from the safety and warmth of ones own bed! :-)