Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Rocks and Hard Places Part 2

I am still being consumed by this business. I am adopting a holy policy and asking for the serenity to accept what cannot be helped. But I fear it is so much easier to deal with other people's bad habits than my own.

One area which comes entirely under my control is my sewing roomlet. It is thus named because it has two full walls, one partial wall and the fourth side has no wall. Not as weird as it sounds. When I set the room up after the walls were painted, I took a large bookcase from one of the children's rooms, painted it red and used it to contain patterns and boxes of fabric etc.,  but since there was still not enough room for my sewing necessities, I bought some cheap, but helpful, stacking units. I'll break down and show these old photos, so you can see how these units are drooping.

The door on one unit won't shut and I have to tie the doors together. The shelves are sagging. It has to go. I now have a heavy wooden bookcase which I can paint and use to store some of my fabric. And therein lies the rub. I am reorganizing my goods, but if one container is for felt, should I put the project for felt that I am just beginning there, or does it belong in my (rather big) "projects to be finished" container? How small does a piece of fabric have to be before it goes in the scrap container?

Of course, I am not the only one with this problem. Ten or so years ago we helped a friend prepare for a move into a retirement home. She was 85 at the time and her biggest problem was winnowing down her enormous collection of clothes, china, linens and all the treasures she had accumulated over a life time. She would be able to take quite a lot (and did), but the biggest problem was her basement, stuffed with who knows what.
The girls and I helped her, but we were not getting too far (ever see Hoarders?)  She is a generous woman and we found that if we said we would like something, she would give it to us—although we knew we would immediately dispose of it.

 I was the obvious choice to be the recipient of a pile of newspapers dated around Dec. 12 1936. The Newspaper is the now defunct Detroit Times and you can just about see the main story of the day. The paper is large and the folds are in poor shape. I couldn't open it without doing more harm to the paper and in any even it would be hard to scan the whole page. There are a number of related articles and a large photograph of Mrs. Simpson. Lynne was a teenager when these events transpired and I can imagine the romantic attraction. Although I know the final provenance of the documents, I wondered what had happened to these papers in the interim. She had gone off to college, married two husbands, given birth to two children, all the while keeping (but not protecting) the newspapers which appealed to her teenage heart.  This English scandal was given great coverage, though I admit that in this paper at least the editors cut away to the Dionne quints after several pages. Even when I took these papers I was trying to decide whether to keep them. I solved my problem by throwing out the others and keeping this one.

The King is Dead: Long Live the King.

No comments: