Friday, August 12, 2005

What's your major?

The concept of a college major being something of a movable feast is a strange one for the English. At least it was. In my day, and that phrase alone indicates that I am "of a certain age", we applied for a place at university directly into a specific department. And we never took a class in anything else. I can defend that system, but I also admit that I am woefully ignorant in vast areas of knowledge. I have never been able to remember the order of the planets, or why plants need sunshine and I was actually relieved, rather than insulted, when my doctor presented me with a booklet purporting to explain cholesterol, in which the illustrations included a rather cute liver, complete with eyes and a large nose.

I just received my latest university Alumni magazine (the concept of Alumni, or in my case, alumnae, didn't exist "in my day") and I was quite amazed how majors have proliferated over the years. In the 30's through the 60's, people had traditional majors like History, English and Zoology. In the 70's I begin to see some combined degrees, like Mathematics and Music, Biochemistry and Psychology and a shift to "studies": Classical Studies, Management Studies, Drama and Theatre Studies. The degrees of the 90's are more esoteric. We have Quaternary Science, Basin Evolution and Dynamics, Victorian Art and Architecture and Geography of Third World Development.

I hope I live long enough to learn which majors my grandchildren elect and I hope one of them can explain why the liver has a nose.

No comments: