Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Bigger IS Better

In the past year AT & T launched a series of commercials which I find quite charming. Each features a "father" figure (actually a "teacher" figure) seated at a kindergarten size table with four different small children. In each vignette he poses a question of choice to the children who come up with quite illogical but usually delightful answers. I'm not sure though I'd like this little guy to be my grandson. Needless to say, since AT & T is a mega phone company, several of the choices involve size.

What's this got to do with me? I was harassed for sometime by comments about the large bag I carried. "Women are always rummaging in their purses for their keys", "Have you ever stood behind a woman in the grocery store when she is looking in her purse for her checkbook?""One of your shoulders is going to be lower than the other!"That last remark is particularly hard when my purse is carrying HIS prayerbook, HIS gloves . . . and the list goes on.

So I tried, I really did. It is hard to see in this shot, but I couldn't get my wallet in it, I couldn't get both sets of car keys in it and it is always a good idea to have the keys for his car when he is driving, just in case . . . Without bulging too much it contains a cell phone, one set of keys, a checkbook, a comb (I prefer a brush) a pen, and a few credit cards. Though never the cards for the store I found myself in, and remembering my social security was never my strong point. I think it is meant to be worn slung across my body with careless insouciance. But I don't do insouciance.

So I am giving up and going back to a larger purse. One large enough to put a cheetah in.

No comments: