Monday, September 25, 2006

My 15 Minutes of Fame

Sort of.

I am astounded that Paris Hilton requires the services of a publicity agent. I do not swim in such waters. But my blog came to the attention of the dynamic Barbara Fornasiero of EA Focus in Rochester Hills, and she contacted Laura Varon Brown, the editor of the Twist section in The Detroit Free Press and the next thing I know I am stumbling through an interview with free lance writer Michelle Krebs, who was looking at women bloggers in the Detroit area. In the interest of full disclosure I must admit that Barbara, a former student of Ernie’s, is a friend of long standing.

Timing of course is everything and the article appeared while I was out of town. But I heard about it from my family and a number of copies were waiting for me when I got back.

Michelle did a good job making sense of what I was saying. She reported my awareness that my blog is not exactly on anyone’s “must read” list. The irony? While I was not arrogant enough to believe that thousands of Free Press readers would click into my blog first thing every morning from now on, eager to read my latest post, I did think that a fair number would just look in on it once based on its appearance in the paper. So I installed a site meter. Nada. Zilch. Maybe a person or two looked, but I can’t quite figure out the demographics I can extract from the meter and only two people left comments on the blog. In fact I am sure a goodly percentage of the hits were me, checking up on the bait.

Compare these figures to those of the masterful John Bailey, who has just recorded his five millionth hit. Deservedly so.

The site meter does have me a little perplexed. It indicates that 5% of my readers (and that’s about 20 people, folks) are from an “unknown country.” Maybe that’s the Homeland Security people. I did mention semtex after all.

Maybe someone could leave a comment once in a while. My 15 minutes is over and it is lonely in the blogosphere

No comments: